Saturday, December 1, 2012

Evaluating the current Giants' unis

Hello everyone.

I want to take my time with this brand overhaul, and do it well, slowly, and methodically. As for posting on the blog, I will be doing the same. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and promise 5 posts a week. My goal is to have one post every Saturday for the foreseeable future.

This week's post is fairly simple. I want to give you a breakdown of the Giant's logo and uniform history, and show you some updated logos that I worked on this week (it has been the last week of term, so I haven't put a huge amount of work in on this project this week, but I do want to share what I have done with you).

The Giants have had only minor uniform tweaks over their 12 year history. The biggest change happened in 2009-2010, with the introduction of the Reebok EDGE uniform system in the WHL.

Pre-Edge, the Giants uniforms were largely modeled after the Philadelphia Flyers uniforms from the 90's and 00's, with their dark red, black, and silver colour scheme. 

Images from: sportslogos.net


After the introduction of EDGE, the Giants modeled their look after the Calgary flames uniforms, using the exact same template, but putting black on the yokes instead of the cuffs (personally, I think this is absolutely unacceptable for a Vancouver hockey team for 2 reasons: 1) those uniforms SUCK. 2) No Vancouver team should have ANY ties to Calgary).

Images from: sportslogos.net

I have way more things I am critical of in these uniforms than I do things I like about these uniforms (but some of them are really just general criticisms of CHL uniforms). I am just going to persent these in point form, and create some guidelines for my redesign based on these observations.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

GENERAL CRITICISM OF CHL JERSEYS:

-too "cookie cutter." All WHL jerseys are pretty modern looking, and basically based off crappy modern Reebok EDGE templates.

-too many patches. WHL, CHL, REEBOK x2 (with shoulder patches, captain's letter, and numbers this is TOO CROWDED)

CRITICISM OF GIANTS JERSEYS:

-too modernist. You can tell these jerseys and logos were designed near the turn of the new millennium. The colour scheme is mainly black and silver... this is so overdone (black for black's sake, and the phenomenon in the late 90's, early 00's of excessive use of silver).

-the shoulder patches are BORING. what does a flying maple leaf have to do with a Giant anyway?


WHAT I LIKE:

I like the Lumberjack motif, and how it ties in to the Canucks identity. That's about it.


GUIDELINES FOR BY REDESIGN:

Use the Lumberjack motif.

Don't use black or silver in the main uniforms/logos.

Make the sweaters less crowded (I know this will deviate from the current CHL format, but I can wish, right?)

Use a unique jersey template design.

Use a classic striping pattern.

Try to come up with a new shoulder patch.


SO, Based off my guidelines this is what I have come up with so far.

Here is the colour scheme I have come up with (I have included the RGB colour settings in case any of y'all want to send a concept in... hint, hint)



Here are the Logos I presented last week with the updated colour scheme. I have also made a version of the logo without the overhead wordmark, similar to the logo used on the Giants alternate uniform.


As always, I would love to hear your feedback, and if you have any concept ideas for the Giants, feel free to send them along.

3 comments:

  1. Can you elaborate on the choice of the color scheme? I don't get why a BC team should/is wearing shades of red?!? Aren't BC's official colors blue and green, as the Canucks wear? (Are the Giants related to the Canucks?)

    On another point of view, if there is a good reason for dark brown/black and two tones of red, why vintage white? Normal white brings a much needed contrast, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vancouver's colours are green and blue, BC's are Blue, Red, and Yellow. The Giants are not related to the Canucks, so I don't feel the need to make them look like the Canucks.

    My main reason for using this brown and red colour scheme is to set up a lumberjack theme, with red flannel shirts, axes, tree trunks, etc. Using the red and dark brown doesn't alter the colour scheme too much, I don't want the Giants to follow the Canucks' example and change their colour scheme to something completely different.

    I am totally open to trying new colour scheme ideas, I will update this concept with white, and see how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Being from the other coast, some of these points were missing from my culture! Now I'll work something more meaningful!

    ReplyDelete