Friday, June 8, 2012

Fun Faux-Backs for Friday

Here are the next two concepts in my Canucks faux-back series.

These Concepts borrow from many eras in Canucks' uniform history, but the main inspiration comes from the 1985-89 jerseys. Those uniforms were the first to feature the classic "Skate on a Plate" logo as the main crest. These jerseys also featured a shoulder yoke which formed "V" shapes on the Canucks uniform (a really clever feature if you ask me... you didn't, but you are reading my blog so I do feel like I am allowed to share this opinion).

Re-imagining these sweaters posed a large challenge for me; many updates were necessary to get these jerseys to a place where I felt happy with them. First and foremost was the modification of the "Skate on a Plate" logo. I simplified it, then recoloured it in the classic blue, white, and green.

The shoulder yokes were also a challenge. I wanted to create a more modern look with the "V" yokes; I did not want to simply recolour the 1985-89 jerseys. Fortunately for me another local-ish team had just gone through a uniform update and employed elements across the collar bone and shoulder area which reminded me of the shoulder yokes on the old Canucks uniforms. Thank you Seattle Seahawks for the inspiration.



     

The Seahawks shoulder striping gave me a jumping off point for the modernized "V" yokes.
I continued the stripe which forms the "V" on the shoulders through the collar area, and collar tag to create a sense of flow through the uniform.

The arm stripes are a hybridization of many different striping patterns from the Canucks' uniform catalogue. The width of the stripes are inspired by the stripes from the 1989-97 dark uniform, and the angled nature of the stripes is inspired by the 1997-2007 uniform striping.

The pants are inspired by the pants worn with the 1985-89 uniforms, and feature a "V" on them.

Without further ado, here they are. Hope you enjoy them.






















Thanks for reading. Vote on the poll. Comment below.

3 comments:

  1. I really like that blue jersey. I think the white jersey needs more green, but I don't think the green numbers work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steven, I agree with you. The white Jersey does need more green. The green Numbers were an attempt on my part to bring that. The yoke striping mirrors the hem striping, and I thought that the green could work contained within those mirrored stripes. I'll see what I can do to add some more green, because clearly the green numbers on their own aren't doing the trick. thanks for the feedback.

      also thanks for the comment, and for reading!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Steven, more green. Perhaps switch the thickness of the white and green striping on the white jersey could help. Maybe a blue outline on the green numbers? Good work Colin.

    ReplyDelete