Monday, June 18, 2012

Making the Canucks Look Like a Million Bucks

Once the 2013 winter classic is complete, Vancouver, Ottawa, and Winnipeg will be the only Canadian teams which have not participated in an outdoor game. The Vancouver Millionaires defeated the Ottawa Senators for the Stanley Cup in 1915. A 2015 Heritage Classic between the Canucks and Senators to commemorate the 1ooth anniversary of that match seems a very likely possibility. I, however, would be very disappointed to have to wait that long to see the Canucks in an outdoor game. The Canucks are one of the best teams in the NHL right now, and they are as popular and widely supported as they have ever been. In my opinion, if the NHL waited until 2015 to put the Canucks in a "classic" game, it would be a huge mistake.

One thing that this outdoor game possibility has right is the Vancouver Millionaires. Any defensive Vancouverite, when mocked by a Calgarian about the number of Stanley Cups won by their team will pull out the Millionaires, saying something like "Well, Vancouver has won a Stanley Cup..."

Recently, the Canucks bought the rights to the Millionaires brand, and it seems like a sure thing that the Canucks will wear Millionaires inspired sweaters when they get their shot at playing in a classic.

Millionaires throwback uniforms have been done in Vancouver. The WHL Vancouver Giants have worn them in the past. But the problem with a direct Millionaires throwback is that it does not embody any of the Canucks brand. The Giants wear burgundy, so to switch to a burgundy uniform with the "Vancouver V" crest on the front did not really threaten their brand. For the Canucks, at this point to introduce any new colours would hurt their brand.

These jerseys were pretty cool, and had all the elements of a classic jersey. Sweet old-school striping, a simple logo, and the most important thing for any classic uniform: a lace-up collar. All in all, these uniforms do scream retro, and represent Vancouver really well, but they do not represent the Canucks very well, mainly because of the colour scheme.

So, the solution seems pretty obvious to me. Millionaires jerseys in the Canucks' blue, white, green colour scheme. However, one question still remains: to vintage white, or not to vintage white?

Today's post will include options for a dark sweater. I will show each one with white, and vintage white. All concepts use the classic 4 bars on the arm striping, a lace-up collar, and the Millionaires "Vancouver V" logo. I have used a darker blue than the Canucks usually wear, but it is still technically part of the Canucks colour scheme, because it is used in their logos. Also, to add some more Canucks flavour to the uniforms, I have included a subtle stick in the rink logo on the shoulders in a slightly lighter blue. here they are:

Classic Concept 1

white:
vintage white:


For this first set of jerseys I have only used the dark blue, and have basically subbed it for the maroon. For the Numbers I have used a stitched on style like Buffalo did with their anniversary jerseys. Again notice the subtle stick in the rink shoulder patches.

Although I feel that these jerseys stay true to both the heritage of the millionaires and the identity of the Canucks, some might criticize these sweaters for looking like they belong to Toronto, because of the simple blue and white colour scheme. These next options consider how best to include green on the sweaters.

Classic Concept 2:

white:

vintage white:


I have added green between the white arm stripes to bring in some more of the Canucks' identity by including their three main colours. However, the green arm stripes seem like they are trying too hard, and having three of them is too bold in my opinion, and doesn't fit the understated and simple nature of the rest of the sweater. But to have some green on the jersey is important, it just needs to be a bit more subtle.

Classic Concept 3:

white:
vintage white:
By eliminating two of the green arm stripes, I think a simplicity is reached within both the millionaires, and Canucks identities.

I am going to put up a poll where you can vote on your favourite jersey, and whether you think the Canucks should go for the vintage white.

If you have any feedback or suggestions, fell free to share them with me in the comments section. With your help these concepts get better.

check back in the next few days to see me take on some road versions of the millionaires sweater. Ultimately I would like to create a matching set, but there is some flexibility within that. Also, notice I have not included equipment with these sweaters like I normally do, that is because there are decisions on that which I would like your help with as well.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Classic concept 1 with vintage white is a total winner! No change needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stéphane. Classic concept 1 with vintage white looks great. I love everything about it! The vintage white version of #3 is also growing on me. But I guess I'm just a sucker for green in a jersey! Also I think the idea of a Vancouver/Ottawa Classic is a good idea and the 100th Anniversary should be just for Vancouver.

    Overall, great work. I'm a Canucks fan myself and love the blog! I'll be coming back more often to check out your newest concepts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin, I have seen your work on HJC, if you have any Canucks jerseys you want to send my way I am hoping to get a section up where I post other concepts artist's Canucks concepts. Your stuff would be perfect for that part, and I would love to feature it on the blog. send it to shirtofacanuck@gmail.com if you are interested.

      Delete