Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tying Up (or Lacing Up) Loose Ends

Thanks for dropping by! Double thanks if you stopped by last week to voice your opinion (via vote) on what a Canucks classic uniform should look like.

I have been working with the Vancouver Millionaires sweater as my jumping off point, and had come up with many options (check out older posts to see all the options) . The basic questions which we voted on last week determined the role of the Canucks colour scheme would be on these sweaters. 63% of voters said the Canucks should use vintage white on a classic sweater, and 53% of voters voted for a blue and white jersey (omitting green entirely for the purpose of simplicity). What these votes tell me is this: "Keep it simple. Keep it classic."


So with our results form last week, we have our classic home sweater determined:







As I mentioned last week, I want to make a matching version of this home sweater for the road sweater, however that does not necessarily mean taking the simple route of inverting the colours.

As presented in the middle of last week, I see two possible options that could work really well for creating a matching road sweater to go with this home sweater.

OPTION 1:



This one is a direct inversion of the home sweater.

OPTION 2:



This option is largely an inversion, except for the shoulder yoke and collar area, which basically matches the same area on the home sweater.

There is a new poll up on the site. Vote on which jersey you prefer. Also, if you have any suggestions on either of them, let me know in the comments below.

On to the fun stuff!

A Winter Classic or Heritage Classic uniform would not be complete without equipment. There are many different ways which we could go with the equipment. I could make them brown to mimic leather. I could make them navy blue to match the sweaters. I could make them vintage white to mimic the canvas look. I am not so concerned with having matching equipment, because these are specialty uniforms. I am more concerned with composing two uniforms (complete with equipment) which look really good. If they match, great. If not, no big deal.

I am going to post options for helmets, gloves, and pants and then discuss what my optimal combination for both home and away uniforms. I also have done up socks which logically follow the striping pattern, if you have any suggestions on those, obviously comment below.

Helmet options:
brown, blue, vintage white











Glove options:
blue and "canvas", brown and "canvas", brown









Pants options:
"canvas", brown, blue













Socks:
blue, vintage white















For the home uniform I would choose the brown helmet, with the brown and "canvas" gloves, and the "canvas" pants, with the blue socks.

For the away uniform I would choose the brown helmet, with the brown and "canvas" gloves, and the brown pants, with the vintage white socks.

Let me know which combination you like in the comments below. Also, don't forget to vote on the poll.

Thanks for reading, check back later in the week for more fun stuff!

2 comments:

  1. Can't answer to the poll, none matches my tastes! First, I'd get rid of the shoulder patches. If you wanna go retro, it doesn't fit (on both jerseys). Second, I'd use the vintage white jersey with no shoulder yokes, but don't invert the logo: keep it white with a blue "Vancouver", and add a blue outline to it, and make it quite thick, about 1/8 of the thickness of the big V. Third, if you use vintage pants and gloves, there's a not-written rule to that: vintake white pants with no stripes, gloves entirely leather-looking. The helmet? Well, a dark blue one would be nice. But again, no actual logos. The flames killed their look at the winter classic with their actual logo... Then again, just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stéphane, I don't want to write the shoulder patches off too quickly. I think if they can be done in a subtle way, like the blue on blue on the home jersey, the could be really neat. They shouldn't be a main focus of the jersey, like they end up being on OPTION 1 in this post, but I think they are important for brand continuity. I just need to work on a subtle way of doing this on the away jersey.

      I like the idea of using the light logo with a thick out line, and have done up a few concepts which use these, and have posted them, but work still needs to be done on these ones, because they look a bit empty.

      For the equipment, I totally agree, and need to get the logos off them. Since the Millionaires became the Montréal Maroons down the road, I will look to them for inspiration for the equipment (there are no colour photos of the millionaires, but a few colour images of the maroons). Vintage white "canvas" pants, brown "leather" gloves, helmet either blue or brown.

      let me know what you think of the updates, they are very much still works in progress, and would welcome the input!

      Delete