Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Another stab at a green alternate

A while ago I tried to develop a green alternate uniform. What I came up was probably one of the simplest routes to take, but in the end was something I was not really pleased with. Now that I have completed my Millionaires project, I want to start another project and come up with a green alternate that I am really happy with.

Here are some alternates which I have made that I am NOT happy with. Each of these have some merit, but are not quite right.






Then there is the alternate which was featured in the collaboration I did with Justin:



I love this one, but do want to complete what I started to develop with those first two green sweaters.

Here is a never before seen concept which I put together based on some suggestions I made to Justin when we were working on our collaboration. He tried to put it together, but said it wasn't working, so I tried, and I couldn't really get it to work either, but thought I would include it anyways, because I think there is some really interesting elements (which I would like to use on my green alternate) on the sweater.


I was going for a real vintage feel on this one with the oversized logos on the sleeves, and the large, football style numbers on the shoulders. It's just not quite right (the shoulder numbers kill it, I think... but they would really crowd the arms if I put them there)

So, with all of these ideas circling in my mind I am going to set out some guidelines for myself for creating this alternate:

1) Make it GREEN.

2) Feature Johnny Canuck prominently.

3) Go with an old-timey, vintage, faux-back feel. I want to make this sweater feel like it belongs to an original 6 club.

4) Make it connect or make sense with my redesigned the home and away uniforms.

5) Use the VC logo... it is too good not to.

I feel like my last attempt on this post is closest to  doing all these things, but still is not quite right. I am open to changing the main crest to a different treatment of Johnny. I am willing to alter the striping. I am not willing to drastically change my treatment and placing of the VC logo (I think it really works well on the arms. It feels really vintage, and makes a nice connection to the negative space V in the arm stripes on the home and away sweaters).

Please help me out! I have come down with the designer's version of writers block!

thanks for dropping by.





1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love it, Colin! The VC on the stripes looks great while the numbers don't look out of place. I wish I could have gotten this to work when I tried it. Really great work here!

    ReplyDelete