Saturday, July 7, 2012

Finally, Some more Flying Vs

Hello again everyone. It has been a slow week on Shirt of a Canuck this week (mainly because it has been a busy week in real life for me). It is the first beautifully sunny Saturday of the summer here in Vancouver, and I (of course) am at home with a cold (probably because I had a busy week). That just means I can catch up on the blog.

Over a week ago I posted concepts from Stéphane and Justin, and hinted at upcoming posts. Today, one of those upcoming posts is here. Today, for your viewing pleasure, I have some blue and green Flying V concepts from Stéphane, Justin, and myself. What I like most about all of these concepts is that they are all very different.

Without further ado, here are the concepts:



Justin's striping design stays very true to the original, with the Vs in the arm stripes. I was unsure about using the stick in the rink logo as a shoulder patch, but it seems to work here. The one thing I would change on this concept is the partial green cuff stripe, I would just keep it blue.

A while ago Stéphane sent in a Flying V concept in the Canucks' Hallowe'en colours. He has sent in a couple more versions of this concept in blue and green. As you will notice, the players he has selected to use for the names and numbers are not Canucks. Stéphane is a Habs fan, and is still a bit sore about losing Lapierre, and has proposed a few trades to me in an attempt to get even for the Lapierre trade. As the unofficial GM of the Canucks I have acquired Scott Gomez from in exchange for a enough money to pay the Electricity Bill in Roger's Arena for the next few seasons, and a one way ticket to Chicago. This jersey would never happen, because Gomez would never wear a Canucks sweater (a Chicago Wolves sweater, maybe?).


My only complaint for this sweater is the use of the Orca logo, which I do not feel represents the Canucks brand well. Other than that it looks awesome.

Stéphane has also sent in a green version, with the Johnny Canuck V logo. This one also looks really good, except for the name on the back. Number 22 IS NOT AVAILABLE.


This is better...



I just wanted to do a version of the Flying V which was different from any other version I have seen.  I don't really like how the arm stripes on the original Flying Vs only go part way around the arms. This was a big complaint with arm striping when the Reebok Edge uniform system was introduced. Recently a few teams have taken steps to fix this (notably the LA Kings, and Winnipeg Jets) I started to imagine it based off the Jets away jersey with the arm stripes going all the way around the sleeves, and over top of the vertical striping on the sleeves. What do you think? was the experiment a success?

I also made a matching road version. And since it is meant to match, I didn't really have a choice as to which player I chose for the name and number on the back of the sweater.



Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Seems like too much stripes for my eyes, almost loosing the feeling that's a V. Also, the j. Canuck logo is so good looking that way, it's a shame to lose it in the elbow's folding while in action...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are totally right Stéphane, both the V and Johnny are lost in this jersey because of the stripes, and the positioning of the logo. Do you think the V would be more defined if I simply took away the vertical arm stripes (and maybe made the cuffs entirely blue)? as for Johnny, I need to figure out where he fits in... maybe i will take another stab at these sometime next week.

      Delete
    2. Indeed. Maybe remove blue arms stripes, but try keeping the piping to suggest the old stripping? You could reuse the lost blue in the Vs?

      Delete