Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wednesday, July 25: Green Alternate (continued)

Last week I posted this green sweater, but wasn't sold on it. I wasn't expecting a lot of positive feedback on this one. Despite my own hesitation, people seemed to like it. Nevertheless, I have tried to innovate. The treatment of the VC logo being placed in the arm stripes was inspired by the way the C with crossed tomahawks logo was placed on the Blackhawks sweater from 1956-1959. This is such a classic look.  I also added some football style numbers in the top of the shoulders (as the sleeves would have been too crowded if I place the numbers in the usual position).

The circle logo, and the treatment of the arm patches had a real Chicago feel to it (the Hawks used a circle logo often, most recently on their Winter Classic uniforms). Despite Vancouver's rivalry with Chicago, I can admit one thing about the Hawks: they do get their uniforms spot on. I have thought this for a long time, and even made a Canucks sweater based on their Winter Classic uniforms early on in my concept designing career. Here it is:


Today I revisit this concept in an attempt to explore other options on my quest to find a great green alternate for the Canucks. The first thing wrong with this concept is the logo. The logo is not a classic logo, and this jersey screams old time hockey. The numbers fall into the same category, not old-timey, on a faux-back sweater.

Here is my first attempt at fixing this sweater. It is basically a Chicago Winter Classic rip-off, but hey, with that striping pattern, you can't really go wrong.


The next concept is a slight departure from the Chicago Winter Classic form, with the switch of the circle logo to the shoulders. I like how this swap has worked out.


I would love to know what you think of these sweaters, and if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Now for whats coming up next on SOAC. I am going away on a little vacation for the next week or so, but there will be posts on SOAC. here is what is coming up:

Friday, July 27: Contributor Concepts
Saturday, July 28: Evolution of My Jersey Design
Monday, July 30: The Quest for a Green Alternate continues POST DELAYED... probably until the weekend. Sorry.
Wednesday, August 1: What Might Have Been
Friday, August 3: Contributor Concepts

For the time being, I am going to try to be posting regularly on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (with the occasional Saturday post). My post are typically set to go up at 9:00 AM here in Vancouver. (perfect for a lunch-hour read for my friends out east!) Be sure to take note of that and drop by accordingly.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I don't like this concept because it does look to much like the Blackhawks. I think the Montreal Canadians jerseys would be better to use as inspiration, if you want to create a jersey with a chest stripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Call Steven... I will take a stab at that if I revisit these concepts. I can see how the Canadiens sweater would work better as the inspiration, especially with the VC logo.

      Delete